U-W La Crosse officials will learn more today about the damages from a weekend fire.
The blaze was contained to a storage room at Wittich Hall, but there was smoke-and-water damage throughout the structure. The cause remains under investigation. The building was locked, and it appeared to be un-occupied when fire units arrived late Saturday night. One injured fire-fighter was treated at a hospital and later released. An alarm was also sounded in Graff Main Hall, which is connected by ventilation shafts. But there was no damage to the second building. Wittich Hall is one of the oldest on the U-W La Crosse campus. It was built in 1916 as the first physical education facility. It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in the mid-‘80’s. It now houses several department offices, the women’s gymnastics program, youth sports programs, and motor development programs. The fire was the second on the La Crosse campus this year. A blaze in January closed a dormitory for the rest of the semester. The cause of that fire was never determined.