(9/5/12) This year's Health, Wellness and Safety Fair will be held on Thursday September 20, 2012 at the Wisconsin National Guard Armory from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The primary goal of this event is to promote healthy and safe lifestyles and to expand awareness of all health, wellness and safety products and services that our west-central Wisconsin region has to offer.
We invite you to be a part of this event which, for the first time, will include the P.E.E.R.S. Aware Ill Simulator (see www.peerawareness.com). This system simulates real-life driving conditions and is designed to realistically demonstrate the dangers of drinking and texting while driving while using an actual vehicle. High school classes are being scheduled to attend this event and a large screen will be present to allow for shared viewing.
The fair will target all age groups and will include a variety of screenings related to health and wellness; including blood pressure, balance & sensory, blood sugar, body composition, carbon monoxide monitoring, oxygen levels, sleep screening, dexascan, and glucose/total cholesterol with HDL. If interested in the glucose/total cholesterol screening, fasting is strongly recommended and you may choose to pre-schedule your appointment time by contacting Liz Lund at 715-284-1386. Flu shots will be available for a fee and other attractions include car safety seat inspections, massage, and fitness and cooking demonstrations. Mayo One and MedLink Air helicopters and fire & rescue will be on site to further showcase their services in our area. There will also be opportunities to attend informative sessions that will educate and motivate participants about health, wellness, and safety.
· 8:30 – 10 a.m.: Mary Bauer, Compliance Specialist from the Eau Claire OSHA will be speaking about the Globally Harmonized System (GHS) of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals, "What Changes are Coming?" Pre-registration is required; contact Liz Lund at 715-284-1386.
· 9 & 11 a.m.: Maretta Budde, Curves Licensed Zumba Instructor, will be doing Zumba demonstrations.
· 10 a.m. & 12 p.m.: Kathleen Clemons, Ho-Chunk Exercise Physiologist, will be demonstrating chair exercises and other ways to make your day more active.
· 11 a.m. & 1 p.m.: Keynote Speaker Brian Udermann, PhD Exercise Physiologist and UW-La Crosse Professor, will speak about "Health Myths that May Surprise You." A very enlightening presentation that will leave you more informed about your health no matter what you think you know.
· Throughout the Day: Paula Przywojski, Registered Dietitian at Black River Memorial Hospital and Jill Fleming, Registered Dietitian at Jackson County health & Human Services WIC, will be doing healthy cooking demonstrations.
Stop by and check out the above activities amongst the many other vendors participating and providing information. In addition, plan on stopping next door at the American Legion to donate blood at the Blood Center of Wisconsin BLOOD DRIVE (8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.).
The event is being sponsored by The Greater Black River Area Safety Council and Black River Memorial Hospital along with the following partners: American Red Cross; Atlas Resin Proppants; Black River Falls EMS; Black River Falls School District; Friends of the Black River; Ho-Chunk Nation; Jackson County Department of Public Health; Together for Jackson County Kids; and UW-Extension. We look forward to seeing you at the 2012 Health, Wellness and Safety Fair at the Wisconsin National Guard Armory on Thursday, September 20, 2012.