The Committee of the Whole met at City Hall in the City of Black River Falls on September 18, 2013 at 6:00 P.M. Alderpersons Johnson, Herman, R. Eddy, Rahmlow, Olson, J. Eddy, Gearing-Lancaster and Chojnacki were present. Mayor Danielson presided.
1. The Department Head monthly reports were reviewed. Department heads present were Muriel Gunderson, Steve Schreiber, Todd Gomer, Steve Peterson, Dave Frederick, and Brad Chown.
2. Library Director Muriel Gunderson thanked the Council for the opportunity to be the Library Director for the past six years and hopes the library continues to move forward. Mayor Danielson thanked Muriel for her service. Reception for Muriel September 26, 2013 from 2p-4p at the library.
3. Fire Chief Steve Schreiber advised the bids for the SCBA project came in lower than expected. He is looking in to applying the excess funds to the maintenance program for the equipment.
4. EMS Division Chief Jody Stoker was out of town at training. Chief Schreiber advised they have had some heating/cooling issues with the new remodel but adjustments are being made.
5. Street Superintendent Todd Gomer advised a sink hole at N. First St and Main St. appears to be a matter of ground settling over the years since work was last done in this area in 1984. Another sink hole at Alder St. and Gordon St. was due to a broken pipe. The Street Dept. has had several similar problems in this area in the past and have the pipe repaired as of today.
6. Police Chief Dave Frederick had nothing further to report. Alderperson Chojnacki requested follow up on complaints of taxi drivers smoking in the taxi. Chief Frederick advised the department has been in contact with Rick Bauer and citations will be issued if complaints are received in the future. Alderperson Johnson asked for clarification on reimbursing an officer for ammunition. Chief Frederick advised the officer reimbursed the City for ammunition. Alderperson Johnson asked for clarification on the purchase of wallet badges. Chief Frederick advised these items were issued to officers and remain the property of the city and were purchased because the department did not have them in the past.
7. Parks & Recreation Director Steve Peterson had nothing further to report. Mayor Danielson advised winter storage at the fairgrounds will begin on October 19, 2013 from 8:00am to noon and asked for volunteers to assist with the process.
8. Alderperson R. Eddy reminded the City Administrator of the Council's wishes to have pedestrian lights for the intersection of Highway 12/27 at Highway 54 in the 2014 Street Department budget.
9. It was moved by Alderperson Johnson, seconded by Alderperson Herman to approve Amendment #3 to the Employee Handbook (3rd Reading) adding the Organizational Chart to Section I of the handbook. Motion carried.
10. The Council discussed the reactivation of the City's Housing Authority. One of the main purposes for the reactivation would be to address transitional housing needs. Peggy Holmgreen, citizen in attendance, advised there are grant dollars available for these types of projects, but a Housing Authority needs to be in place to apply. Muriel Gunderson expressed concern about allowing this type of housing in to residential districts in the city. It was moved by Alderperson Chojnacki, seconded by Alderperson Johnson to have the City Attorney and the City Administrator research reactivation of the City's Housing Authority and provide the Council with information at the October Common Council meeting or the October Committee of the Whole meeting. Motion Carried.
11. It was moved by Alderperson R. Eddy, seconded by Alderperson Herman to approve the August 2013 vouchers in the amount of $313,406.91. Motion carried.
12. It was moved by Alderperson J. Eddy, seconded by Alderperson Gearing-Lancaster to approve the August 2013 City Treasurer's Report. Motion carried.
13. It was moved by Alderperson Rahmlow, seconded by Alderperson Gearing-Lancaster to approve the August 2013 Revenue and Expense Report. Motion carried.
14. Next Committee of the Whole meeting was scheduled for October 23, 2013.
15. It was moved by Alderperson J. Eddy, seconded by Alderperson Olson to adjourn. Motion carried.
Alex B. Chown